Manchester United F.C. have officially confirmed Michael Carrick as the club’s permanent head coach on a contract running until 2028, following an impressive interim spell that helped revive the team’s fortunes both on and off the pitch.

The 44-year-old stepped into the role in January after the departure of Ruben Amorim, inheriting a struggling side sitting seventh in the table and already eliminated from domestic cup competitions. At the time, morale around the club had dropped significantly, but Carrick quickly managed to steady the atmosphere and reconnect the squad with the club’s identity.
Under his leadership, United surged back into the UEFA Champions League places and secured a guaranteed third-place league finish heading into the final day of the season. His impact extended beyond results, with many around the club praising the improved spirit, unity, and confidence within the dressing room.
Carrick is no stranger to Old Trafford. The former midfielder spent 12 years at Manchester United before retiring in 2018 and previously had a short interim coaching spell in 2021 after serving under Ole Gunnar Solskjær.
Speaking after his appointment was confirmed, Carrick reflected emotionally on his connection to the club and outlined his ambitions for the future.
“From the moment that I arrived here 20 years ago, I felt the magic of Manchester United. Carrying the responsibility of leading our special football club fills me with immense pride. Throughout the past five months, this group of players have shown they can reach the standards of resilience, togetherness and determination that we demand here.
“Now it’s time to move forward together again, with ambition and a clear sense of purpose. Manchester United and our incredible supporters deserve to be challenging for the biggest honours again.”
Media duties for our new head coach, featuring a familiar face… ❤️
🤳 @Snapdragon x #ShotOnSnapdragon pic.twitter.com/ngdf92FlaP
— Manchester United (@ManUtd) May 22, 2026
United’s director of football, Jason Wilcox, also praised Carrick’s work during the interim period, insisting the former midfielder fully earned the opportunity.
“Michael has thoroughly earned the opportunity to continue leading our men’s team. In the time he has been doing the role, we have seen positive results on the pitch, but more than that, an approach which aligns with the club’s values, traditions and history.
“Michael’s achievements in leading the club back to the Champions League should not be understated. He has forged a strong bond with the players and can be proud of the winning culture at Carrington and in the dressing room, which we are continuing to build.”
Reports indicate Wilcox strongly backed Carrick’s appointment, with the decision later approved by co-owner Jim Ratcliffe and the Glazer family after the club assessed other managerial candidates.
Carrick’s interim spell included statement victories over rivals Manchester City F.C. and Arsenal F.C. in consecutive matches, as well as important wins against Aston Villa F.C. and Liverpool F.C.. Across 16 matches, he recorded 11 wins and three draws.
The appointment was also reportedly well received by the players. Young midfielder Kobbie Mainoo, who regained a central role in the team under Carrick after struggling during Amorim’s tenure, reportedly said he wanted “to die for him on the pitch.” New signing Matheus Cunha was also among those said to have backed the manager internally.
Carrick’s return to the spotlight comes less than a year after leaving Middlesbrough F.C.. With Manchester United now back in European competition, attention will turn toward strengthening the squad during the summer, with midfield reinforcements reportedly among the club’s top priorities ahead of a demanding new season.
It’s Carrick, you know ❤️
🇾🇪 We are delighted to announce Michael Carrick will continue as our head coach, having signed a new contract.
— Manchester United (@ManUtd) May 22, 2026
